Wednesday 11 August 2010

Stephen Bates, skating for Leukemia Charity...

Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't heard, a student recovering from Leukemia is skating 200 miles for charity. 

Stephen says  "The reason I'm doing this is due to personally being affected by Leukaemia in 2006. At the end of my first year at University I had to take a year out for treatment and all I wanted to do is get back to Uni! Fortunately I did get back and had a good three years more there. Now it's time to give back for all the help I received.

The money you donate will go to Leukemia and Lymphoma Research, which affects people of all ages. This charity is the only UK charity that soley invests in research for blood cancers and has over 50 years experience. I experienced treatment intensely for over a year and 2 extra years of maintance treatment during my studies. This affects your everyday life and infections can be more serious during this time. Therefore if I can raise money to aid in research in finding a cure or reduce treatment time for future sufferers, then i'm there. Even if it means my legs are going to suffer for it.

The plan is to start on the 10th August and hopefully within 7 days will reach sunny Maidstone. The route is now planned, and will be going through Nottingham, Leicester, Market Harbourough, Northampton, Towcester, Dunstable, Luton, St Albans, Elstree, Camden Town, Brockley, Swanley, Wrotham and then finally Maidstone."  

 All at SMB wish you the very best of luck Stephen, we'll have our fingers crossed for a safe & happy skate :0)

Visit Stephen's Justgiving page to donate http://www.justgiving.com/skatingsteveee

No comments: