Thursday 5 March 2009

The Joys of Ice Fishing...



Having recently returned from a trip to Sweden (200km north of the Arctic circle) I've been keen to see how other people have enjoyed the unique art of ice-fishing.


For those who are uninitiated in the ways of ice-fishing, you drill a deep hole in a frozen lake (laboriously by hand in my case - no posh power drills for me!) & then hover over your hole nervously twitching your line, with a rod that you may have stolen from a passing garden gnome, until you catch something. After about 10 minutes, the temperature being about -30 degrees centigrade, my hole had frozen over & I had to go through the 'hole' process again!

I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience to be honest (although, very sadly, I was impressed by how smooth-running the bearings in my rod were), so was keen to see how other bloggers had fared, as people seemed so enthusiastic about ice fishing I was sure I must have missed something...
I was pretty amused then, to find the following from Illinois, USA:
  1. Park your car in a safe placeGet ready to...retreive your mate's car - he wasn't so sensible!Then help your mate who's dropped his skidoobefore finally sitting down to fish!And, after a tiring day, return to the safety of the car park...

I think that my conclusion is, ice-fishing can prove an expensive hobby!

Should you ever need any replacement reel bearings, why not visit us at http://www.smbbearings.com/index.htm for information on our high spec reel bearings and our EMQ2 low vibration bearings, with oil lubrication, which spin freely and quietly.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog Did You Know.. You have some great information about Ice-fishingand the photos are very clear. I had no idea so many people really did indulge in this sport. Will be returning to see more.